Frequently Asked ICBC Law Questions

Work Permit Applications

There are a number of different types of work permits you may be eligible for depending on a number of factors including but not limited to your area of work, your current status in Canada, job offers you have received, your family relationship with another individual and their status in Canada. We assist individuals with all types of work permit applications as set out below:

  • Pursuant to a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • Under international agreements such as CETA, NAFTA and GATS, and
  • All other Labour Market Impact Assessment exempt work permits.

Study Permit Applications

Study permits allow interested individuals to study at designated learning institutions in Canada. Our lawyers are happy to assist with this process.

Visitor Record and Visa Applications

Many people, though not all, require a visa to visit Canada. Our lawyers can help you determine which process is right for you and assist you with it.

Express Entry Applications for Permanent Residence

There are a number of Express Entry streams that may be open to individuals wishing to make Canada their permanent home. These programs focus on those wishing to immigrate for economic reasons and use a points based assessment system.

  • Canadian Experience Class
    • The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who already have Canadian work experience.
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program, and
    • The Federal Skilled Worker Program is for those with foreign work experience in a selection of occupations.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
    • This program is for individuals with experience in a select number of trades.

Provincial Nominee Program Applications

                The provinces can also recruit individuals from the Express Entry pool through their individual Provincial Nominee Programs. Each province sets its own streams and our lawyers can help you consider your options and make the application that is right for your situation.

Start-up Visa Applications

                This program focuses on immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build a business in Canada and requires the potential immigrant to have support from one or more of a number of designated organizations. We assist foreign entrepreneurs with this process.

Self-Employed Persons Class Applications

                Interested individuals with experience in cultural activities or athletics that would be willing and able to make significant contributions to Canada’s cultural or athletic spheres may be eligible to come to Canada through this program.

Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

                These programs allow qualified caregivers and their family members to come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents. Our lawyers can help you navigate this process and decide which path is right for you.

Family Class Applications

                This class allows for the reunification of close family members with Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Applications involving spouses, common law or conjugal partners, and dependent children have priority. These applications require an eligible family member to sponsor the applicant.

Temporary Resident Permit Applications

                Temporary Resident Permits are discretionary documents that allow individuals who would not normally be legally permitted to enter Canada to do so if an officer finds it is justified. Individuals wishing to work and study in Canada will also require work/study permits.

Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications

                Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications (H&Cs) are an extraordinary option available to individuals who are already in Canada, need an exemption from one or more requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or the Regulations, and believe they have sufficient humanitarian and compassionate considerations to justify such a exception.

Permanent Resident Card Applications

                This card allows Permanent Residents to travel to and from Canada. Our lawyers are happy to assist with this application.

Citizenship Applications

Permanent Residents who wish to become Canadian citizens must make an application and meet a number of eligibility requirements, including the residency requirement, and must have sufficient English or French language skills. Most applicants also need to successfully complete a Canadian knowledge test.

Immigration Appeals

                Sometimes the immigration process is not smooth. Individuals who are facing a denied application or loss of status, for example, may be able to appeal the decision. Our lawyers can advocate for individuals in these situations.